PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA to recruit DEPs on to the 744.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2001, 21:33
Pontius

Wink

Hot Wings,

What you say about the 744 recruitment is absolutely true, but not for the reasons you suggest.

Basically, with approx 100 Capts retiring from the fleet this year, they are obviously looking for 100 people to replace them (unless they find a buyer for some of the airframes). Cassandra (the internal bidding computer, for those who are unfamiliar) has come up with those people and it would seem they are mostly mostly right to left. Unfortunately for Jim and Co there are not enough people bidding for the right seat (the 777 is far better as we all know, ahem) and this is the reason DEPs will be taken onto the 400. What you say about being junior is so true, that the 777 is far more attractive, especially as it continues to steal 744 routes, hence the lack of valid bids onto the Whale.

My spies tell me that initial numbers are 30-40 slots and that an advertisment will appear in Flight very shortly. Type rated people will be given priority when it comes to the choice between sending a DEP onto the 400 or to the 'Bus.

I'd ignore RVR800, it sounds like a cabin crew v pilot wind up again.

Bavarian Boy,

Regarding the 'Pool'. It is basically empty of all type-rated and experienced pilots. There are a few left who don't meet the current joining requirements, but, as those are likely to change very shortly, more and more people will be swept up. Sure, they're not going to get a 400 slot, but they will be soaked up onto other fleets.

Just for info, the best place to look for the most recent DEP requirements is on the website. If anyone is sitting around waiting for Flight, don't. I have it from a reliable source that the joining requirements will shortly be 'lowered' to >1500hrs with at least 500hrs on civilian transport jets or military fast jets. Once they see the numbers from that, they'll be looking at Turbo-props (incl Hercules) and helicopters.

So things are starting to gain pace again. Now all we need is a decent pay rise and a DEP salary that is actually worth joining for, and the BA World would be a lot better place....with the added advantage of driving up the conditions for everyone else too, I hope.

See ya's,

Pontius

------------------
You Ain't Seen Me - Right !!