PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crossing the English Channel in a SEP
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2006, 18:10
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem I have with any bits of floating kit is it can not be reallied apon to be in the right place at the right time. Or even if its tied down you can use it when required. So if its not on you before you takeoff you might as well not have it at all. Which is why all the offshore suits now have to be worn zipped up and each have a personal beacon attached. And you even have to have the hoods up for takeoff and landing.

And the fact that you have the landyard attached so to speak. Are you really sure you want the possibility of the thing inflating before you get out? And I know the attachment lanyard doesn't fire it. It doesn't need someone to pull the thing. The strap could catch and pull on anything with the g-forces involved with a ditching it could easily deploy inside.

Most of the people debating the pro's and cons of life rafts haven't had the experence of actually using one. I did years ago the old RGIT course which part of which is them trying to make you sick taking you out of Aberdeen harbour and fannying about in rafts.

Even in the most modest of swells the north sea can throw at you and water temps of 11degs which is tropical for the east coast. Most people failed miserably to get into a 20 man life raft which is stable in comparsion to the ones for planes and have alot more foot holds and other aids to aid boarding. On our raft it was only because myself and another diver managed to lever ourselves onboard then bounced recovered the others that anyone got on board. And that was in noddy suits with out the shock of your bollocks getting emersed in 11 degree water. Which we all know has the the ability to stop you breathing never mind anything else.

Now the whole industry has been made to realise that these life rafts are next to useless and they all have to install the escape boats.

With zero training, no noddy suit the yellow brick wins hands down because at least you can use it as a chock when you land at the other end.