PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - B737
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2006, 18:02
small_dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done!

Good work on getting onto the type rating course!
If possible, try to get hold of a paper bomber (an A2/A1 sized picture of the cockpit mounted on card) and a copy of the panel scan flows (these are lists which guide you around the cockpit, preparing it for various stages of flight so there will be a scan for setting up the cockpit initially, then another one to prepare for engine start, then another for after engine start, etc etc, in my company, the scan flows are in the operations manual). The scan flows are done from memory and the essential items are then rechecked using a challenge and response checklist (of which only the responses are memorised). If you get familiar with the panel scans early on, it will save you time in the sim (as you will already know where the switches are located and what you are meant to do with them) and it also make you feel more comfortable as everything wont be totally new the first time you step into the simulator. It is also one less thing to learn in the evenings after the sims, thus you'll free up time and capacity for learning other new stuff.
If possible, try to learn the SOP standard call outs as well for the various different approaches. Again, getting these squared away as soon as possible will free up time between sims for absorbing other stuff, it also looks like you're making an effort early on and the sooner they are 2nd nature, the better as it frees up capacity whilst in the sim.
As mentioned previously, learn the memory items from the QRH and the limitations.
Prior to starting my type rating, I read the technical manuals but, try as I might, I couldn't really absorb it (it just seemed to go in one ear and the out the other). It made a lot more sense during the groundschool phase, but at home prior to starting, it wouldn't go in. If I had a chance to do it again, I'd focus on the stuff mentioned above and leave the technical stuff for the groundschool phase. However, you may find it easy to understand and follow the manuals before you start, and if so, they may be worth a read
Make sure you start the type rating well rested and relaxed though. It is a pretty intense period of time so, taking into account everything written above, the most important thing is not to start it burnt out and knackered already.
Well done once again,
All the best
SD