PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Damages for dead Yak pilot's family
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2006, 14:01
Justiciar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You make a good point: how could it be dealt with better? Probably, it couldn't be. The system works, but society has changed a lot and is more querulous than it used to be.

The point is that a reflex these days is to sue a professional if anything goes wrong: what the hell, you might get something, so give it a go!

Liability insurance for medics in Europe is a tiny fraction of what it is here. People have a different attitude to life and they don't always think someone is to blame.

Personally, I don't like the way British society is going in so many aspects and this is just one of them, but quite symptomatic of the whole.
QDMQDMQDM

Despite our previous exchange, I find myself agreeing with just about every word of your statement. From my very limited knowledge of the continental systems I believe that damages are generally lower, the criminal law is more heavily involved in negligent acts causing death and the civil claim is often dealt with at the same time (the parti civil can appear and be represented in a criminal trial in France, for example)