PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwich and toothpaste
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2006, 09:27
Cuillin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent posting by A&C in respect of the security problems we, who earn a living by flying, face everytime we go to work.

The basic requirements of airport security are a 'no argument' discussion but there are big variations between airports throughout the UK and the applications of security measures at a local level vary immensely.

A few views of my own (biased towards BAA at Gatwick)-

Why are aircrew given a considerably harder time going through security than pax? We know you have been told to 'concentrate' on us - but why?
Excellent cartoon in the Telegraph a few weeks ago with the wife searching the husband as he comes through the door and a guilty looking moggy next to them. Wife saying to husband - "Well somebody has been bringing dead birds into the house but it seems a bit unfair to pick on the cat"!

Why do I have to take my shoes off, walk through security, go to pick up my shoes and flightbag then be told to take off my jacket, return through the scanner and walk through it again (still minus shoes)? Why do I have to take my jacket off but not my trousers (I was tempted)? Is there something that can be hidden in a jacket but not in the trousers I am still wearing? Are you really trying to wind people up or just ignorant?

When I ask why BAA security staff are allowed to walk from the coffee shop, walk around the scanner, place said coffee on a table airside without being security checked then I am told this doesn't happen. Sorry mate, witnessed this a few days ago. Who is the biggest security risk?

Etc, etc.

Local variations on a big scale and is totally unacceptable. 'Make it up as you go along security' with no ability to question the farcical rules. Keeps the politicians happy though and they all think they are doing a great job.

Rant over.