PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL(H) is equal to a PHD
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2006, 20:44
thecontroller

i wouldnt say an ATPL is like a Phd at all. A phd typically takes 3-4 years. 1 year studying, 1 year doing practical research, and 1 year writing it up as a book.

unless you go to one of the top unis most BSc/BA courses today are a joke. golf course management, media studies, pop music studies, sports and fitness etc. its all about the unis making money via course fees/international students these days.

the goverments target of most people going to higher education is a crap strategy. it just results in lots of broke people with worthless degrees working in ASDA, while we are all paying through the nose for plumbers/electricians etc, as all the vocational training institutions closed down and there is a shortage. the trouble is, everyone wants to work in tv/music/the meeja, and no-one wants to study the practical stuff.

i worked in the media for years and i never met a single person with a media studies/communication degree.

nowadays a degree is considered "standard" (like O levels were years ago) and to get anywhere with employers you need an Msc or a Phd

apologies for going off-topic, just my 2 pence