PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inverness Radar
Thread: Inverness Radar
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2006, 14:51
Highland Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyprus to Inverness

Originally Posted by Spotter99
I am presently serving in Cyprus as an ATCO with the RAF. But have had enough and looking for a new lease of life. I served at Lossie and did the Inverness Radar Task while there. I thoroughly enjoyed this job and always said to the Inverness boys that I would love to do this full time. My only problem is that being military I hold no officially recognised licences but would like to apply for an ATCO post. The job when I was at Lossie worked fairly well in my opinion with only the odd bust up over the landline especially when Inv on 24 and Kinloss on 08 with who had the priority. Their traffic levels now necessitate their own radar. Highland Director is it worth my while applying?
Spotter99 - I wish I were in a position to advise you but alas I'm just an ATCO - the lowest form of life within HIAL. I've long since given up trying to predict what management might do next. I wouldn't trust anything they tell you either.
Stornoway is the crisis unit at present in terms of Atco shortages - so beware. You wouldn't be the first to have fallen victim to a broken HIAL 'promise' only to find yourself banished and bonded in the Hebrides for years on end.
Be aware also that HIAL management find it difficult to conceive that anyone over the age of 40 is worthwhile investing in. There are middle-aged ATCOs at Inverness who've spent their entire careers working for the company who've been overlooked for Radar training. The £13,000 course is seen as too much to risk. Suggestions that consideration ought to be given to the operatioal experience of these guys, tend to be met with lots of sucking of teeth and shaking of heads by the non-operational management types.
Sorry if that's not exactly what you were hoping to hear but that's the way things are from my perspective anyway. It'd do no harm to contact them though. HIAL advertised in Flight just a few weeks ago with the slogan 'Ten Airports - One vision'. As far as I'm aware the number of valid ATCOs who were considered for interview was zero.
There is just a chance that next time the Ad will read - 'Ten Airports - One ATCO.'