PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATWICK
Thread: GATWICK
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2006, 14:07
Hotel Mode
Junior trash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't WW actually tell a BA forum recently that there would be no franchises next year?
Kind of, he told a BALPA company council meeting that he did not expect GB to be a franchise next year. No mention of Bmed etc.

What is certain is that freed from BA their costs will tumble and their revenues will increase
I think thats what Duo thought at BHX but selling tickets to Faro as the unknown GB airways (to the punters) may be harder that you think with strong well known competition around. I dare say that if this is the route GB/BA take then BA will start operating the best routes in their own right, the move to summer sun destinations seems to be going quite well at LGW already. GB will effectively be new to the market, and of course as thing stands GB have no "back office" ticketing/reservations dept to speak of, so its a fairly large short term expenditure.

Assuming that the worst case conspiracy theorists could be right, and I hope they aren't, are BA able to move all og Gatwick long haul to Heathrow.
No some of the US routes must remain at LGW until a new bilateral with the US is worked out, so it could be a while. Additionally BA are expected to announce fleet expansion for LGW/LHR shortly, management have indicated that A330's may be a possibility and they will be based at LGW sending 777s up the road. If this happens it is likely the short haul aircraft replacement will be A319s.