PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S/E take-off safety brief?
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2006, 13:21
VH-Cheer Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Centaurus
Heard one instructor telling his student to brief him on his actions in event of go-around on short final, brief him on go-around at 50 feet crossing the fence, brief on go around after a bounced landing and brief him on a go around at the flare.
Isn't the procedure for each of these circumstances more or less the same anyway? i.e. Firewall throttle, attitude, trim for climb, raise flaps to suit speed as you accelerate?

Why on earth would a student have to go-around at the flare? Or was the instructor talking about landing on a soccer field during a riot?

As far as looking for a speed at which to rotate, I was never taught to do that. With the right trim, the aircraft pretty much always told me when it wanted to leave the surly bonds... Setting the speed in the climb was more about attitude to obtain max climb rate or max angle of climb (52 kt in a Warrior was about as steep a climb as it went, I think).

The most important safety issue for a student should be to look where they're going on the runway, i.e. look out the front window please mate, watch you clear the trees at the far end if you could.

It's not like you have a PNF calling out the knots and bug speeds - or have instructors started doing that for their students in some places?

VHCU

Last edited by VH-Cheer Up; 11th Nov 2006 at 13:22. Reason: tidy up