PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2006, 18:32
gliding777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rj111
Personally I'd be proud I'd made it to phase 3 without ever stepping foot in a plane for a lesson.

Thanks for the advice though, i may well take a trial lesson beforehand. Even though it's really not compatible with my current financial structure.
To add further thoughts:
On our course, some 'short' ie had PPLs, some of us were 'long' ie no PPLs. Of the latter, two had a couple of hours' experience flights. I had no powered experience to my name, just gliding. One had done a degree in aerospace engineering.
Long and short of it is, you do not need flying experience, nor do I think it will gain you a massive advantage (though it will do absolutely no harm whatsoever) in the selection stage. All you need is to prove your motivation, be it through getting a PPL, working in the industry, gliding/UAS, or maybe family connection. Yes, if you go for a trial lesson you will get a feel for flying. But what if the weather's bad (will put you in good stead for NZ mind!) and you don't enjoy it? Remember too that you won't be in a light aircraft forever, the 757/737/Airbus handles a bit different to a Katana!
To summarise, my feelings are that if you can prove a motivation to the job, commitment to study and determination to succeed that will stand you in good stead for the interview. Just my tuppence worth, use or discard as you feel appropriate!

Last edited by gliding777; 11th Nov 2006 at 10:47. Reason: grammar and logic!