PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S/E take-off safety brief?
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2006, 12:09
locknut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys, whoever reckons that it is not worth doing pre take off briefs in single engine aircraft have got rocks in their head. I agree with some of the blokes that you don't have to sit there at the holding point or wherever, for 5mins going through every single possbile possibility that may occur. If you need to do that then you should be at home studying. The pre take off brief is designed as a quick reminder of your actions should the engine fail. The purpose of a pre take off brief in a twin is no different to that of a single. The pilot still has a series of actions that need to be performed in the unlikely even of an engine failure, the only difference is that they're different checks. Whether in a single or a twin, the actions you perform in the next few seconds may just save your life so you better make the right decisions.

I haven't flown a single piston in years but I do recall my brief including things like:

"VR is XX. Should the engine fail I will lower the nose and trim for XX (glide speed) and put her down, whether that be in joe bloggs' paddock or on the remaining runway, if time permits I will check... If there is a fire I will... All going well I will turn L/R at 1500 onto XXX and climb to XXXX"

Whoever teachers a student to only look at the airspeed for take off clearly shouldn't be instructing or the student shouldn't be flying. I think this is an isolated case.

As for the dude that got taught by someone in the airforce, pis* off that brief mate, what are you trying to do? Scare the sh*t out of your passengers?