PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2006, 10:32
212man

Received 334 Likes on 186 Posts
Charron,
when the screen goes red it means you are doing submarine impressions; it will be amber as you hit the water! (Red means terrain 500+ ft above you )

To answer your question about waypoints displayed; the FMS will 'throw' up way points (be they VORs, Airports) as you set it up to (avionics engineers). So you can fly along with all the rigs displayed on your ND/PFD regardless of the route entered. Generally these will coincide with blobs on the RADAR and the red obstacle blocks on the EGPWS. If not, then the EGPWS database doesn't have them and the RADAR is showing ships, mobiles etc.

Not sure where the thread creep about mobile rigs has come from; it's akin to moaning that a road map doesn't have road works marked on it. I don't recall that bumping into mobile rigs was a particular hazard.

Glad that HC has conceded that the EGPWS fulfils the AVAD requirements, certainly the UK CAA were satisfied that it complied with JAR OPS 3.660 with V24.

Sorry that no one has shown how EGPWS (or in fact a GPWS as no E required) would have helped in the cases I listed, other than the ERA 76 A++.

I'm not against EGPWS at all; I think it's great. I do stand by my point immediately above, though, which in a round about way so was HC (I think.)

I'll try and get a photo posted that shows how much situational awareness is available; it truly is superb compared to conventional types.

Let's try and keep the arguments factual.