PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2006, 07:33
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear!

Charron -

I guess if you are economical with words then you will always find somebody who gets the wrong end of the stick - not your fault - the problem is all mine.

The sh*****t GPS - we left the 'anchor mode' in the set-up to remind us that we were using an antique that wasn't specifically designed for the aviation world alone. The problem was that 800 km in the bush there are no VORs and NDBs and this little piece of sh***t was all we had. The screen was so poor that in the midday sun you could barely read it. Eventually we replaced it with a Trimble 2000 and then added a Garmin 300 (from memory) which was mind blowingly cost-effective - moving map and all.

Rigs and radar - radar will tell you there is a contact but not how high it is. It could be a 50' supply boat or a 500' Gorilla and in busy waters you could do with knowing which is which. I'm going to suggest that time will tell how good the EGPWS is and the experience of the guys with the new toy will be interesting. I know what HC would say to that but sometimes politics and economics prevents you covering all the angles. Fingers crossed we don't learn the hard way.

G