PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2006, 07:33
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
212 you said
HC, I think you have to accept that the S-92 EGPWS has all the functionality of an AVAD: It has a 'hard wired' 100 ft call ( "One Hundred" ) plus a variable Rad-alt based call ("Altitude") as well as a variable bar-alt based call "(Minimums"). The latter can usefully be set to MEA (or MESA or whatever you call it these days) for en-route IFR navigation.
Before our dialogue started I was adamant that EGPWS did not replicate AVAD, specifically that, according to Honeywell's product spec, the Altitude callout was only active with the gear up or in low altitude mode, and the mimimums callout was only active with the gear down but suffered from only triggering once unless you landed or climbed 200' to rearm. However from your comments and a closer inspection of the spec it does seem that the 92 is set up differently. Putting aside the fact that the altitude callout is misnamed (should be height) if other aircraft can be set up that way then perhaps it does replicate AVAD albeit with no attensons and no ability to surpress expected warnings. Perhaps there is a Sikorsky-specific part number that is different or perhaps its just a configuration setting, though I can't find mention of this in the spec.

In my defence I will say that I am not alone in finding this confusing - Eurocopter decided that "minimums" and/or "altitude" were not a viable alternative to "check height" so reverted back to the basic aircraft tones on descending below bugged radalt height. I have to go to work now but will study the spec further!

HC