PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2006, 17:44
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick

AVAD cannot deal with the problem of moving platforms or for that matter any platforms/rigs/vessels. My point is that EGPWS has huge potential but what we should be cautious about is glorifying it's arrival as a 'cure-all' without some careful thought about those curved balls that nip round and bite you in the ass! (excuse the mixed metaphors).

I like the idea of EGPWS. I have lost some close friends in CFIT accidents and welcome its potential. If it has the angles covered by AVAD covered too then we are in business. maybe it is there already maybe not - I don't know. It offers great potential for the future but before we slap the software guys on the back and say 'job well done' let's look carefully at where we may be solving one problem and creating potential for another. Remember the 'Swiss Cheese' model for flight safety and think in terms of changing it to a good bit of Cheddar - ie, no holes.

My aviation 'law book' has the following basic tenets:

1. Murphy's Law - If you design something so that it can be put together the wrong way then someone will do just that.
2. Sods Law - If it can happen then it will .

and finally

3, The Jammy Side Down Syndrome - (If you drop a slice of jammy toast it will always land jammy side down) Which is just anothet way of saying that if you trust to luck don't be surprised if you are disappointed.

If EGPWS is designed to be the answer to our prayers then it needs to be as good as possible.

G

PS _ HC our posts crossed but hope you approve of my cautious approach. Sometimes you cannot determine the 'failure modes' until you put the kit in the hands of Joe Pilot and see what happens. Having done all you can to de-bug it first of course!

Last edited by Geoffersincornwall; 6th Nov 2006 at 18:17. Reason: add post script