PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2006, 16:50
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NL HC

Now, now guys let's keep our hair on - assuming we have some left!!

I had the same concerns about the EGPWS and when I tackled my contact at the factory (Sikorsky that is) they kindly sent me a video that showed what a great tool it is - over land -!!!

My questions about offshore ops never were satisfactorily answered. Particularly how do you square away the fact that in order to account for mobile drilling units that can reach 500 feet into the sky if they are in transit (Rowan Gorillas etc) their positions must be loaded into the volatile memory by (fallible) humans!!

The 'terrain map' needs to be perfect or it's no good to man, beast or even helicopter pilots. Anybody have the inside track on this gritty problem??

As an AVAD user I too have my concerns about it's possible demise. As to the wisdom or otherwise of the esteemed group of possible EGPWS users I have just two questions:-

1. How many 15 sector, 5 hour night shuttles have you done recently - I was there last night how about you?
2. Have you any experience of AVAD?

I have NO experience of EGPWS so I am not going to condemn what I don't know but what I have seen and heard doesn't quite convince me. But, hey! I'm not going to be dog-in-the manger about it. Let's try it and then make a judgement based on facts rather than opinions.

G

PS - Just had a thought. How do you account for a mobile 'mobile drilling unit'? ie. one that is actually on the move.

Last edited by Geoffersincornwall; 6th Nov 2006 at 16:52. Reason: post script added