PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2006, 16:13
HeliComparator

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
212 - Again some difference between the EGPWS installed on the 92 and the standard offering - on the standard Mk XXII v24 the "altitude altitude" callout is only active with the gear up or in low altitude mode, but it does say that on the 92 its permanently active - again its all down to how the manufacturer decides to install the kit.

VL - I too would love to have TCASII, I would quite like de-iced rotor systems, but the oil companies see no need to pay for it and there is no business or safety case for it. If I were American and had never heard of AVAD I would really like EGPWS - my problem is that, whilst it adds a whole lot of bells and whistles that are not much use in my environment, it doesn't fully cover the ground left by removing AVAD. That is my fundamental objection to it. I am sure the problem is fairly easily fixed but until it is I would prefer to stick to AVAD.

And that Nick, is my response to your comment about not fitting it because the software isn't perfect. It will never be perfect but it should at least be better than what you are replacing it with, within the context of the specific operating environment, and so far EGPWS is not. Eurocopter do offer it on the 225 and we have provision for its fitment but until the holes are filled I hope we don't get it.

What in particular raised my attention in the first place was that a whole bunch of people (not pilots) were clamouring for its introduction without having spent any time looking into how it actually worked and what holes there were in it. This was the result of clever marketing by Sikorsky (Yes, they are fantastic marketeers even if their products are not so well blessed) and Honeywell - viz the presentation that Nick linked to earlier - it all sounds great but there is no substance to it.

HC