PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2006, 11:57
HeliComparator

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I was interested to note your comment about "minimums" callout - you say its not part of EGPWS but just for the clarity of other readers it is an EGPWS Mode 6 callout, though I agree its triggered by an external (pilot-set) source. According to Honeywell's product spec (downloadable from their website) its triggered by DH - which I took to mean the pilots radalt bug setting. However I see that the product spec goes on to mention that on the S92 its triggered by the pilot's MDA bug.

This brings up another point which is that the design of the software in the box is one thing, but the way in which the manufacturer chooses to configure, install and integrate the system into their aircraft is another very important factor in determining the usefulness of the kit. You have to get both right for it to be any good.

Grating voice? No, as a safety aid I still think its best if only heard if you end up where you shouldn't be, rather than as a routine indication that you are at MDA on an approach. Out of interest where do CHC etc set the MDA bug for a VFR approach?

HC