PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2006, 22:16
HeliComparator

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Yup, nice presentation Nick - I am sure it sold lots of boxes to people who didn't understand how it worked - you can't blame them as it really contains no substance. You just never learn when to quit do you.....

Slide 1: Yes there are a number of offshore CFITW but that's because on your side of the pond you haven't heard of AVAD. For offshore flights EGPWS gives nothing extra, and I am sure that a chunk of those 7 accidents were hitting bits of the oil rig on landing / takeoff - neither EGPWS nor AVAD will fix those.

Slide 2: Sure, it will tell you that you are flying towards rising ground with look-ahead - great if you are flying VFR with the windows misted up!

Slide 3: So it prevents flight into mountains - wasn't that slide 2? No indication of how it might stop the offshore driftdown into water etc.

Slide 4: I take that as an admission that the "classic" modes 1-6 are barely-tweaked fixed-wing algorithms. Was there more? Oh yes, its got a database!

Slide 5: (getting bored now) more mountain flying
Slide 6: Ditto..................zzzzzzzzzzzz..........oops - nearly asleep
Slide 7: Ah -those old favourites the "classic" (aka fixed-wing) modes. Do they have a built in string quartet playing Frank Sinatra numbers?
Slides 8 & 9 - too dull to mention

So out of that lot I deduce that its quite good for flying up a mountain valley on a day when you should have gone IFR. But there is not much for the offshore oil support pilot is there?

HC