PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Into wind for run-ups?
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2006, 14:58
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I have looked at the first 10-15 odd cm of my propeller and I can't see anything particularly aerodynamic about it...I looked at a prop on a spitfire a few months ago at it is all 'blade' from the spinner out. I guess it varies widely as you suggest...but the fact remains that not much cooling airflow gets 'pushed' into the cowl by the prop in your average GA aircraft stationary on the ground.

But as with all things you invariably expose yourself when you attempt 'simple' explanations. I don't spend days or weeks researching my posts before hitting submit, they come from long experience.

Capt WE Johns...no the DC3, Caribou and Harvard don't count with respect to the comparison I was making. A37573 was suggesting anyone irresponsible enough to do checks 'on the run' in a typical GA light single or twin should/would be hung, drawn and quartered, in the RAAF.

They could be quite safely done in a CT4 but it is not RAAF SOP and neither is it GA SOP with ab initio students..and that is fine.

I would never suggest anyone do checks on the run in a DC3, Bou or Harvard...and I've flown 2 of them....hint, not the Bou

They are not Barons, Bonanzas, 210s, 310 or Chieftains....for starters the Dak and some models of Harvard have no tailwheel steering...just taxiing them is an art without attempting mag/prop checks concurrently.

I guess it gets back to 'uncommon' common sense....and most of us aren't in the airforce.