PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2006, 14:41
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
helicomparitor proves yet again that ignorance is still rampant in the region between his ears, and unfortunately sox6 eats hc's porrage.

An EGPWS is not just a map terrain model, in spite of hc's errant beliefs. It has ALL of the functions of AVAD, and additionally provides many other modes. It is very effective over water in many ways, as its protection schemes include over 30 different sets of rules that protect over water operations. I would't expect hc to bother to learn this before he makes his foolish recommendations. I also wouldn't expect hc to know that I was the developer of the helicopter EGPWS, working in conjunction with the FAA and the Allied-Honeywell folks who know more about this game than hc will ever even conceive. Nor would I expect sox6 to know that the EGPWS functions in helicopter mode are exclusive to helos, and the FW mode functions are germain to the forward flight modes that helos share.

A sample of the modes:
Mode 1 Excessive sink rate
Mode 2 Excessive terrain closure rate (also to rig/obstructions)
Mode 3 Sink after takeoff
Mode 4 Too close to terrain/water
Mode 5 Excessive deviation below glide slope
Mode 6 Autorotation callouts (altitude, bank)

From what I have read of the PHI accident (I have read a detailed personal account by the pilot) that accident would have been entirely announced by the EGPWS.

Here is the SB that added avad callouts to the EGPWS:
http://www.egpws.com/engineering_sup...2-0714-121.pdf

I guess hc also believes that no offshore helo could possibly fly over land, thus his erudite decision that no offshore helo needs over land protection. As stunning a conclusion as his decision that window size is more important than crashworthiness or crack prevention of critical parts! Attaboy, hc, you've done it again!

Last edited by NickLappos; 4th Nov 2006 at 15:01.