PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crazy Approaches
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 06:36
QSK?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OLD Canberra NDB Approach

The old Canberra NDB approach (1986), which was given to me as a simulator exercise during my IFR training (sadistic b#*st#*rd):

The approach consisted of a RH 1 minute holding pattern at 5000ft (230/050 degrees), an 80/260 procedure turn to the right at the end of the inbound leg of the holding pattern (230 bearing) to position you to track outbound on the reciprocal heading to the inbound leg of the holding pattern (050 bearing), followed by another 80/260 procedure turn to the left at the end of the outbound track to put you back on the inbound track of the holding pattern (230 bearing) which was also the final leg of the approach.

So far so good - until you had to conduct the missed approach which required a straight ahead climb (230) to 4000ft followed by ANOTHER procedure turn to the right to put you back to the NDB (050) and another track outbound which was reciprocal to the inbound leg of the holding pattern !

I've still got the approach plate if anyone is a bit interested in testing their IFR skills, particularly with wind effect!