PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 4
Thread: CORK - 4
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 23:15
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ramp at Cork was impressive on this Thursday evening. Even though this morning's Central Wings flight from Wroclaw operated in on time and the outbound flight to Krakow also left in good time the return flight back to Cork was delayed by four hours not arriving back at Cork until just after 9 pm after an aircraft change in Krakow. What an aircraft change though. Cant remember which one but she was one of the remaining Central Wings aircraft still in almost the full LOT colours so this evening at Cork we had 737s of Central Wings (LOT colours), CSA and Malev all on the ramp at the same time! A fine sight.

More seriously, Cesare asks a good question above about Ryanair and Cork. At Cork Ryanair seems almost institutionally incapable of any imagination preferring instead to go down a reactionary path. Last year on introduction of the Cork base with just the one aeroplane it seems the project was to destroy easyJet's operation to Cork from Gatwick. Ryanair spent a huge amount of money on this and they eventually won through this summer and easyJet are now gone from both the Cork market and from Knock and snn.

This winter Ryanair are giving their attention to Aer Arann on the Cork to Dublin route by Ryanair's introduction of a fourth daily flight to Dublin much later in the evening following the dropping of the 2nd daily Cork - Gatwick flight. How well four Cork to Dublin flights will do with 189 seaters remains to be seen but it fails me to understand why the second Gatwick flight in the evening was not a winner as it must surely have been?? Guess that Ryanair may argue the reintroduction of the FR907/8 from Stansted will soak up what would have been the business from the second Gatwick flight?

As Charlie Roy mentions above there would be so many, many potential new routes possible from Cork for Ryanair without ever harming any of the Shannon business but it is so far no from Ryanair and yes to their ultimately cynical reactionary negativity. You really could be forgiven for thinking that Ryanair have an agenda against Cork Airport? However, wonder will they reintroduce a full daily service from Liverpool just for spite on the strength of EI introducing a Manchester flight?

I have some more news too by the way but I am tired now and want to hit the hay so yez will have to wait a little longer for that so maybe tomorrow if I am in the mood!