PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Young instructor bashing
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2006, 01:36
Hasselhof

The "Generation Gap"

G'day Squawk,

In a way I'd agree that the current education system in general is letting down students to a certain extent and that secondary education certainly has changed since I graduated from it about a decade ago. However to blame these problems as they are extended to the aviation industry on the generational difference between baby boomers, gen X-ers and gen Y-ers (I prefer the term Nintendo generation... its probably more telling in the casues behind behavioural differences) is moot and shouldn't have to apply in the first place.

It comes back to my point A) in the last post. I honestly believe that the whole point of a flight instructors course is to firmly mould and ENSURE that junior instructors are graduating from their courses with the right attributes and correct attitude that they can take with them forward into their careers.

With the changes to check and training systems that are taking place (things may have changed, I've been out of the industry for a few years now and am not totally up to speed with the CASA *ahem* reforms that are underway) that require check and training pilots to hold flight instructor ratings, is it really going to be acceptable to have new airline pilots being instructed by individuals that have no interest in understanding or striving to develop a culture that values concepts such as "industry best practice" or evidence and rational based procedures. Isn't that one of the main reasons that caused the QF Bangkok overrun all those years ago?

Its funny with the generational thing, I'm technically on the cusp between gen x and gen y and am presently studying nursing with many students that began their tertiary education straight from year 12. Things haven't really changed that much. There are those that want to learn and as a result will learn, those that want to be professionals who will be professionals, those that don't care and won't work.... well they just don't succeed and its plain as day to everyone involved.