PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Capt Refuses To Fly 'unsafe' Onur Air A321!!!
Old 31st Oct 2006, 19:38
JamesA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Onur Air is unsafe"

I read of this story in an American trade mag. It quoted its source as the Daily Mail. Again details were of the sensationalism type and left a lot untold. I agree that there could be a lot missing in the translation of the captain's words. This article did mention strange noises from an engine which caused the captain to announce his resignation. Good on the man.

I would like to point out to some earlier posters, who have picked on others points.
Strepsils and Weasil - the FAA preamble in my company's DDPG of which the MEL is part includes:-
'However, the rules also permit the publication of a Minimum Equipment List (MEL) where compliance with certain equipment requirements is not necessary in the interests of safety under all operating conditions.'
and
'The FAA approved MMEL includes those items of equipment related to airworthiness and operating regulations and other items of equipment which the Administrator finds may be inoperative and yet maintain an acceptable level of safety by appropriate conditions and limitations; it does not contain obviously required items such as wings,flaps and rudders.'
I think the safety aspect is adequately covered in the above.
Another point raised was where one defect has an effect in combination with others, again the preamble gives the guidance 'When operating with multiple inoperative items, the interrelationships between those items and the effect on aircraft operation and crew workload will be considered.'
In other words, whilst it is safe to fly with one of the items defective, in a combination, a fresh look at the overall situation is required.