PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada RP vs 340 / 767 FO pay
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2006, 20:05
GearDoor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Job Requirements

To fly for Air Canada, pilots must meet certain basic requirements:

*1000 hours of fixed wing flying time
*Completion of schooling to the university entrance level. Ability to pass the Air Canada and Transport Canada medical and visual acuity requirements for a Category 1 medical certificate.
*Canadian Commercial Pilot licence, current Instrument Rating and Multi-Engine endorsement.
*Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status.

Where does it say that University, EFIS, jet and FMS are mandatory?

If you were going to hire a CEO for a coal mining company, would you hire someone with an MBA in business, or would you hire the person who has worked in the coal industry for 15 years as say a new hire mining engineer, promoted to foreman, to superintendent and VP of operations, in addition to having an MBA? I'm sure the same applies to Air Canada. However, having said that, AC is entitled to hire whomever they wish.

I think what most people are missing is that maybe Air Canada is trying to hire good employees, not necessarily good pilots. There is a difference, although these qualities are not mutually exclusive. I know someone who was interviewed at Air Canada and Westjet. She didn't get the job at AC but was very happy to commence goundschool at Westjet. Talking with her later, she mentioned that everyone in her class was either f**ked over by or knows someone who was f**ked over by Air Canada. If this was the attitude portrayed during their interviews, no wonder they didn't get hired!

I've recently completed the selection process at Air Canada. I'm still waiting for a response. It's been just over five weeks, and it is agonizing. If I don't get picked, I'm not going to be all mad and bitter at AC. I'll still think they are the premier airline in Canada. I've also been to Hong Kong for a Cathay interview, and I don't hold any grudges against them. I just wish AC was as quick as CX in letting me know either way.

Anyway, just something to think about.