PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Upwind Join"?
Thread: "Upwind Join"?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2006, 12:30
Aussie Andy
PPruNaholic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks!

Direct, Scambler - thanks! Yes I have the big PDF, but hadn't been able to spot the right pages so thats a big help mate... have printed it and its clear, so now I understand what I will do if told to "JOIN UPWIND" by ATC..

And I now also understand that it would only make sense in the GAAP context, as you need ATC to provide the cue to know when to descend - although I think its a bit weird doing this by merely giving a sequence number, and would prefer a "descend to circuit height" type command... In other words, this bit (AIP ENR 1.1, par 32.1) will be a big surprise to many foreign pilots I think:

32. ENTRY TO THE CIRCUIT
32.1 A circuit entry instruction constitutes a clearance to descend to the circuit altitude specified in ERSA, except where: a. ATC issues an instruction to “OVERFLY AT (level)”, “JOIN UPWIND AT (level)”, or “MAINTAIN (level); or b. an alternative procedure is specified in ERSA.
(Obviously, the MAINTAIN LEVEL instruction would be undertsood)...

But on the other hand, you have such good VPG's (I don't think anyone anywhere else has anything to rival these!) that its all a doddle anyway really.

But hey "when in Rome..."

Thanks again guys for clearing this one up for me!

Andy

Last edited by Aussie Andy; 27th Oct 2006 at 12:41.