PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Safety - post afghan tragedy
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2006, 22:28
Kitbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Equalised maintenance is just a different way of applying the maintenance package. The basic idea is that instead of taking a frame off line for several months the work is split into smaller packages, the sum of which is exactly the same as the 2nd /3rd line maintenance it replaces, but releasing the frame back to 1st line for periods in the interim. There is nothing new about the idea, I remember it being a basic trade knowledge issue nearly 30 years ago. It tended to be applied to larger aircraft or those with a civilian background. I believe that the system is used by many civilian operatorsto minimise down time (anyone with actual knowledge please correct me).
If the work package has been reduced however, the style in which it s applied is irrelevant, i.e. if widget a used to be replaced with a bay serviced item at x,ooo hours, it should still be replaced at x,000 hrs.

Perhaps it would be best not to start speculating too wildly, especially using emotive language like 'shortcut'. Lets see what the BoI com up with, then all of us outsiders and armchair experts can vent forth if it doesn't fit in with our ideas.