PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The never-ending 'Modular vs. Integrated' debate - merged ad nauseam
Old 24th Oct 2006, 16:23
George Foreman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote > "6. I'm not exactly a spring chicken, so I want to maximise my chances of getting a job". -from an earlier post

Hmm. This was my reasoning too. I had a career before aviation and when I chose an integrated course at the tender age of 32, this was was one of the things that swayed me. Though I passed all the aptitude/selection tests etc and jumped through all the hoops, it has to be said that the leading integrated course providers do like their "charges" to be young.

I was the oldest on my course by a mere couple of years and there were less than half a dozen older in the school. I addressed it directly before I enrolled and my age wasn't seen as much of an issue before they took my money. However I do recall a few negative comments from staff/managers about 'age' during the course...

I won't name names but "26 at beginning of training, or 28, not any older" was once suggested, and I distinctly remember a 27 yo colleague recounting with some horror a story she had heard from one staff instructor, on the subject of the potential future shortage of flying instructors, that they would look to their graduates because "anyone over 26 and not airline sponsored doesn't stand much chance of getting a job with an airline" ! I also remember attending talks by visiting recruiters, and their maximum age limits kept being revised upwards!

It might not be published policy and they probably won't say it to your face, but the people who say these things do have some influence over your career and they do mean them. Don't get me wrong, I don't actually have any issue with ageism and as an economic liberal I think recruiters should be allowed to employ whoever they want, for whatever reason. As it turns out I have been fairly fortunate in the course of action, the choices I have made, and the opportunities which have come my way within commercial aviation since I completed my integrated training. However, if you aren't exactly a spring chicken I would caution against making the assumption above about the integrated route.

While aviation is clearly experiential pursuit and there clearly are limits, I personally don't think I was too old and if I was then I'm pleased I haven't let it get to me too much !

I have always sought in life to get myself a place at the very best educational establishments so as to achieve the best training in the best learning environment, and for my efforts in meeting those standards to be recognised through the good name of the institution. I am happy to defend the elitist proposition that educational establishments with known standards and a good reputation *can* open doors in life, and I shall never know to what extent having an integrated course on my aviation CV has helped (or possibly hindered?) me in my aviation career moves to date.

Whilst it probably hasn't done any harm, aviation is an increasingly diverse business where one size certainly does not fit all any more. I see all this as more of a cultural than a standards-driven argument. There are legitimate alternative routes, ie some smaller schools where the proprietors have good personal connections, an excellent reputation for training, high technical standards, and for mentoring their customers towards an airline career. I would stress that you do need to feel comfortable in your training environment in order to perform to the best of your abilities, and for that reason I would say this is a case of "buyer beware".

Again, just for consideration, and to stress that this is merely a personal point of view.

Happy Landings
George.

Last edited by George Foreman; 24th Oct 2006 at 20:51. Reason: sp