PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 solo sign-offs
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2006, 20:18
baraka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JinksterAnyone in the same boat and think this requirement is a bit stupid!!

I don't know if stupid is the right word to use in this context. I can tell you that after many thousands of hours of instruction and god knows how many 1st solo's, the final decision to get out of that aircraft and walk away never gets any easier. There are just so many "what if's?".
RT failure, balloon, bounce, overshoot, undershoot,will they go-around, weather, not to mention engine problems, the list goes on.........

It doesn't matter how comprehensively abnormal situations have been simulated and "boxes ticked" during the pre solo phase, i believe the real skill and judgement is in how a particular character will react to a specific situation. Now that does get easier, but only after lots of practice. Here i agree fully with FlyingForFun. I too have been on the ground wondering why the hell i sent bloggs solo after he's gone around for the 3rd time, watching the CB looming in from the west at the same time as the sun goes down behind it!! Doesn't happen nowadays though.......not much anyway....

I think the CAA or JAA or whoever it is has had to set the bar somewhere and that is where it's at, 100 hrs and 25 sign offs. Christ knows if it should be more or less or a different system all together. But i think that they may work on the assumption that even after a FI becomes unrestricted, he or she is still going to be mentored and monitored by a CFI or more experienced FI. Quite right too. In that sense the system self governs.

And before i sign off and bore even myself, i would like to throw in my own humble nugget of wisdom. To all you young or not so young green FI's out there. When you find yourself having landed after another hour of ccts, NEVER feel pressurised or obligated into sending Bloggs solo. If there is doubt, there is NO DOUBT. Stay down. Have a coffee. Go for a beer. Whatever. They will respect you far more after having a good old honest constructive debrief, than having what they perceive to be a near death experience. Yes he will be hacked off at having to shell out another £150 or so, and you run the risk of him going to knock on someone elses door. But the gooduns always come back..............

Thats me spent
Good night..