PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal Crash - Tycoon killed
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2006, 16:56
Pilot.sanchez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some news about the crash R44 crash in the D.R

I felt very affected by this accident as the pilot was a friend of mine.I used to work for that company and served as flight instructor in it untill january this year.

Robinson sent two experts to examine the remains of the helicopter and I heard that they found that a section of the blade separated in flight(bad bonding,corrosion????) and caused the subsequent loss of control of the helicopter and tailboom strike .I found similar occurences searching in the internet.(www.ntsb.gov/Recs/letters/1995/A95_1_8.pdf)

As for why Mr.Kerzner he was actually flying in a twin a BO105 but as the R44 was about to depart a friend of Kerzner asked him to join him in the doomed r44 so he would have someone to talk to.

As for the question about why military pilots let me explain how it works here in the Dominican Republic.
Everybody knows that an aviation career is expensive and especially helicopter training. Most helicopters pilots are from the military in the D.R;what usually happens is that they get a special permit to fly in civilian companies where the pay is way better than what you get staying at the base and usually not doing much flying....

Hope that investigations will give full details of what happened.

My condolences to all families involved.