PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors, a rare breed indeed!!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 16:18
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So would you rather be taught by a low hour PPL or a low hour CPL, thought as much
Who said anything about a low hour PPL instructing? Of course an appropriate level of experience should be required. Surely the instructor rating course itself should seperate the grain from the chaff?

The Flying Instructors Rating is a professional teacher's qualification. The aim of the course is to teach the candidate how to teach. I'll grant that it's rather a short course for such a complex skill-set.....It should probably be several hundred hours in length. But then, perhaps the PPL should comprise 100-or-so hours with, maybe a minimum of 50 hours classroom work. You sure don't know much after 45 or, heaven help us, 32 hours.
Yep you're quite right, but then is a 200 hours enough for a CPL? ... Look, all I am trying to suggest is that the old system with PPL instructors worked ok back then ... why not now? This thread started off with someone wondering where instructors of the future might come from as they were worried about the percieved lack of instructors coming along. I merely suggested that PPL instructors could fill a gap if there were more of them. I then said that it was mainly the cost and time involved in passing the CPL exams that put most off. I've nothing against taking the exams (even though I still feel they're OTT) ... but why oh why! can a non CPL aspiring PPL not just take the exams without the need for expensive ground school? If they can pass the exams then they have proven the have knowledge to CPL level. This could also be achieved by bringing in a stand alone test ... costing a lot less, but acheiving the same aim! Even if there were a clause attached saying that if a full CPL was later desired, further groundschool or whatever was required ... where's the problem? I still cannot understand why this is allowed in France but not here? Where's the level playing field that JAR or whatever was supposed to bring about? ... What a joke!

OK ... I'll crawl back under my rock just like a good little PPL should

SS