PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The right camera
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2006, 20:49
Conan the Librarian
TheVillagePhotographer.co.uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good way of ascertaining whether your monitor really is underperforming is to have a look through some of the albums generously contributed here by other posters. If you still feel slightly underwhelmed, then visit another little thread on C&I, where Monitors and colour are discussed (Copyright conanrant 2006)

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247258

I am sure that the problem you had with your images is a PhotoB issue though. It is funny, but when you reload those and look at clean images, you will feel more benevolent about your monitor, I promise. There are issues with LCD but I use them all the time now and yet still have no room on my desk. Biggest problem I have seen with some LCD monitors is that unless you look at them dead on, that the image quality degrades rapidly with more angle off. This tends to be a thing of the past now. Response times are now good - though this is no issue for photo editing and the junk driver "enhancements" that often accompany screens will do nothing but mislead you too. The onward march of technology is great, but when for instance you look at mobile phones, you will be hard put to find any mention of actual phonecalls, the concept of which seems rather quaint, by latterday standards. Monitors are the same. you want them to do a simple and well defined job, but that rather screws up the game for the marketing dept. who might be out of work should you be such a heretic and this trend were to catch on.

If you find that your Welsh snowtop mountains are looking a bit under the weather, or more specifically grey, then it is but a metering problem. You will be about two stops under if you leave things as normal and this you can fix later with White balance, levels, curves or RAW compensation. Don't worry - the camera is ok but it is a fundamental of current metering systems and it is easily fixed.

Conan