PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The right camera
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2006, 11:19
Conan the Librarian
TheVillagePhotographer.co.uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That has to be one of the longest posts on any thread ever.
Very, very interesting and informative though.
Toothache! Hit the Dentist at 0900 Monday

SpeedyP sent me his first ever shot from his new toy and I was bowled over. With quality like that, I was convinced that he was shooting RAW and drilled home to me once more, what a cracking camera the D50 is. If they all come out like that, he could be right and not need RAW at all. If the missus is under the spell, act now and get some more lenses pronto.

You can't really do anything with a RAW shot using Picture Project.This is Nikons way of getting you to splash yet more cash on Capture NX. This is not a bad move, but many think (and reasonably too, IMHO) it should be included in the price of the camera. Paintshop 9.0 doesn't support the D50 (THEY want you to get v10 - depressing isn't it?) but you can use RawShooter Essentials in conjunction to give you a very powerful and zero cost editing package. It is only then, that you will begin to be able to use RAW properly for the first time, though again, you arent going to get better than that first shot of Ms. SpeedPiglet, which sticks in my memory and will do for a long time. The quality was just staggering.

TM, well done re your dealer. There are some good ones out there and if they have loaned you an SB600 you will get a taste for the superior SB800. With the D200 and its' commander mode, you have an immensely powerful tool, which will let you go wireless as well as providing you the very best in Flash systems. It isn't that cheap, but nor is any other manufacturers leading 'gun. I went for the Sigma EF500DG, which although compatible with the Nikon I-TTL system, doesn't sport the bells and whistles that the SB800 does. I have kicked myself since and especially after getting the D200. Mind you, with flas, I redeemed myself by purchasing two or three weeks ago, an Elinchrom portable flash studio and that is giving incredible results. Maybe a good job I can't mount it all on the camera though as I would only be able to get through double doors with that lot onboard...

On another thought, if away from base, the D200 does chew batteries up and certainly by comparison with D50/70 (which are as effective as fusion. They don't use charge but accumulate it) They are in short supply and expensive too. I use a pair in the additional MB D200 grip, but wasn't wildly keen on spending another 50 quid, thinking that one day, for a spare, that third party ones might become available. That day arrived today. £16.99 each and if you want details then please PM me.

In that tome last night, I forgot to mention a good piece of software for everyone to have up their sleeve. PC Inspector Smart Recovery, does just as it suggests and recovers file from seemingly stuffed cards. I used it the other week and although slow, it is fabulous and does just what it says. It is another free utility and one I urge you to think about, 'cos one day, the butt puckering moment will arrive and you won't be able to access your card. If anyone can't find it, Then give me a nudge and I will dig it up.

JS was right about polarisers and colour casts. When shooting through perspex, they can give rainbows everywhere that you don't want to see. Nice idea about the mouse mat though DE :-)

Photography is maybe at its best when you can capture something historical and the effective end of the cold war, is something to treasure for generations. memory might be one thing, but you still end up pinching yourself, when you look at the pictures. I would love one day, to be able to say that I had something a zillionth of a percent as memorable as those shots described by TM. I can live in hope, but am sure it will remain a dream.

Conan

Last edited by Conan the Librarian; 21st Oct 2006 at 12:44.