PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737- flaps for takeoff
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2006, 03:57
Bula

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Aircraft and a few other are loosing vision as to what the actual point of this thread is all about.

Aircraft you seem to have a grasp of 'flight safety' basics which means you are in the process or just completed studying. I will commend you because the points you raise are valid BUT you are lacking the practicalities of the situation. Unfortunatly the old codgers on here believe because of your lack of said 'expereince' that your opinions on the matter are fruitless and invalid. Them them I say:

"Did he not clear the runway - that Pan American?"

Aircarft and most people here are picking up that an error of ommission was made. The intention of the pilots was always to lower the flaps but for reasons unknown to Pax (and the crew) this wasn't done. It must be remembered that if the EICAS called flaps once power was applied the safety system works.

You are right that this could have lead to disasterous consequences but was safely averted. The "cheese" wasn't completly swiss because the safety barrier EICAS provides prevented the accident/ serious incident from occuring.

As you said everyone here claims to be a professional. It is the job of the companies legislative requirement for a 'safety sytem', hence the safety department to deal with such things. The ATSB will probably want to know about this as well. CASA's only responsibility is to ensure that these systems are in place. They have no place to receive reports of incidents such as this.

However, if the passenger notices that the pilot are dressed as mexican circus clowns, seat belts are made from rope and you have an aircraft with 350 souls on board with one stressed out hostie in control, then they might want to know prior to an incident occurring.

I know one thing.... if they line up without the flaps extended.. the hostess will have me in her ear quite quickly and someone will probably have to crash tackle me as I try to get the hosties attention..... haha what a site. A 6 ft fijian sitting in row 15 briskly walking/ running down the isle saying flaps then crash.. tackled by a member of the NZ rubgy team....Aaaahhhh....What a sight... god love the world we live in today.... eh'bro

Last edited by Bula; 20th Oct 2006 at 07:41.