PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will Qantas domestic still be around in 10 years.
Old 20th Oct 2006, 03:11
International Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that QF domestic will only service only the major trunk routes that will connect with a premium international service ( in terms of yield) with wide body aircraft ( MEL,SYD,BNE). Wide bodies will be necessary in any case due availability of landing slots. Don't know about government work into Canberra( they want "first class", you see).The rest will be Orange Brand.
Does it matter what the colour is? Probably Orange.

Certainly the J* vs QF is a done deal with the magaement having split the groups into 2 and each group will be used as a lever against the other. I would have considered separating J* Int (creating 3 groups) as this would have increased the management's bargaining position but, better minds than mine ........

I am interested to see how VB will re-invent itself.

Will it go from a low cost to full service airline?
A big call for such a company that is not willing to invest in infrastructure and probably does not currently have the expertise ( or the $$$ of its own?) to do that.
Will it remain a low cost and fight it out with J* for the profit crumbs?
I see a few disadvantages for people who fly VB compared with J* that can really only be fixed by VB spending $$$ and therefore reducing its profit margin.

Certainly the time for VB was when Ansett folded. Opportunities missed....

Is the job of airline pilot stuffed in Aust?
I dunno but, I last saw it belly up in a steep spiral dive and bleeding uncontrolably.
Pilots are their own worst enemy and with the current government giving the blessing for workplace reform........

Look at it this way, Australia will be a nice place to visit and to retire............if there is anything left.