PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMed
Thread: BMed
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2006, 17:28
aeulad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no Freetowns next month Personally, I love the City, Lungi on the other hand is another kettle of fish all together! There are NO restaurants on the Lungi side of the bay other than the one at the hotel.

There are several good venues for eating, drinking and partying in Freetown itself, mainly around the Aberdeen area where the Lungi's sister hotel, the Cape Sierra is located.

I am to understand that the company is not keen on us leaving the Lungi side initially until they have more experience of the destination, and a better understanding of the way things work out there.

I hope that we will be permitted to cross a.s.a.p, as Lungi really offers very little compared to the actual City.

Crossing from Lungi can be made via hovercraft, helicopter or ferry. The road journey takes approximately 6 hours! There is buzz that the helicopter is unsafe. I have used all three modes to cross in the past, and have found all to be fine. The ferry is, in fact a bit of an eye opener, and to those more adventurous amongst us, an experience not to be missed.

Sierra Leone is a stable country, and is trying to expand it's inbound tourist industry. Don't be fooled by the pictures of the bounty beaches, they are on the other side of the city, and until we are permitted to cross from Lungi, the only beach we are likely to see is Maheera Beach, just down from the hotel. It is perfect for sitting on with a beer and watching the truly spectacular sunset, but is not really suitable for sunbathing, or swimming.

Hope that gives those who are interested a bit of an insight, personally, I can't wait to go back, I have so many fond memories of Freetown, and of course it will be great to see the Astraeus crews, they are a great bunch of people.

Regards

Mike