PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors, a rare breed indeed!!
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2006, 09:51
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to create mayhem......but I must admit I did learn 300 times more bits of information as a CPL than a PPL.....

Its not just all about a CPL (getting paid) or PPL (not getting paid) now is it???
I'm sure you did Jinkster, but how much of it can you honestly say is essential to know to teach at PPL level? I'm not trying to belittle the CPL (I may very well decide to do the CPL myself one day), what I am saying is that to teach basic PPL, experience backed up by the FI course itself should be quite adequate. Having to take the CPL papers is rather OTT, especially as to take them these days you have to attend a fair bit of compulsory ground school even if taking the home study route. It's going to cost at least £2k on top of the £5-6K for the FI/R and require possibly two or three, two week blocks of time + three weeks? FI course. There are many experienced PPL's out there who (dare I say it) actually know loads more about the relevant issues to do with PPL type flying than the majority of fresh CPL's would have a clue about. This talent is presently being wasted, as few will go to all that expense to teach alongside another career. OK, you can say they shouldn't ... but they used to, and they did a bloody good job. What's so different now that CPL and PPL instructors cannot work side by side? A PPL instructor is unlikely to be teaching advanced stuff so why not share the load?

I hear all the arguments about poor wages ect ect, but to be honest it doesn't really effect my sensibilities. I work in a notoriously under paid and overworked profession, so whilst I can empathise, I'm not over impressed by the "I work soooo hard, but get soooo little" line. At the drop of a hat most instructors would be off as soon as that first airline position became available anyway (be honest!). Those that stay should move up the instructional ladder to teach IR, CPL ect and be paid accordingly at that level. GA is never going to make lots of money at PPL level, but it's also not going to attract new customers if the instructional prices escalate beyond sensible limits. PPL instructors would provide a good base, with enthusiastic, experienced people to breathe new life into what is becoming a fast declining, ego chasing and elitist rich mans pastime/profession.

SS

Ducking quickly