PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - no taxi-out checklist
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2006, 06:02
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Danger

This can lead to a very rushed situation when number one or two for departure. Look at what a rushed situation did to an experienced CRJ crew in Lexington, Kentucky recently, which might have already done their checklists. Very experienced flightcrews have forgotten to set takeoff flaps in hazardous runway layouts such as a B-757 crew in Boston (BOS), and probably at MDW and HOU etc. A takeoff warning has saved some crews, but they can malfunction, or not alert you if slats are set but mistakenly with zero flaps for a high density altitude takeoff!

In my flying since 1978, I have never seen the type of checklist operation which you described, whether on very small training planes, twin or four-engine turboprops, or on turbofans with about 100-194 seats. What can be critical is to not do flows or checklists when crossing any possible active runway. Plan to do the flows and, at a minimum, the checklist which covers slats/flaps, stabilizer trim, speed bugs and VOR course when stopped, where ATC can not bug you much on a fairly long taxiway, or on the other side of a runway and tell the other pilot. Cancel a takeoff or 'cleared into position to hold'/'line up and wait (YYZ)' clearance etc if feeling rushed or unsure of what has been done. A good real world example? About two years ago at MKE, ATC bugged us so much every ten seconds when crossing two runways, we were unable to begin or finish the Taxi Checklist until the FO told the guy to just standby a little bit (and leave us alone). There was no reason to rashly switch radio freqs or hurry. Good grief....

It would be best to intially set flaps before the aircraft even begins to taxi after pushback (as my company requires) and the controls, arm the anti-skid switch, or when we are stopped, just after turning out of a gate. We then call for taxi. I began flying this type in late 1985, but a mistake is always possible.
The only time this was not done was at a company which had us unlock the controls on a Shorts 330/360 just before takeoff, and I never cared for this. At my company, we check the flaps a second time on the very short Before Takeoff Checklist. It can be wise to also double-check the control yoke, glance again at the (retracted?) spoiler handle, the stab trim and the elev/rudder trim positions and the altitude set in the alerter. Most things that can kill you during an attempted takeoff are just a few things on some part of the throttle quadrant or behind it, and are very easy to double-check. With reduced flaps or extra overspeed, a quick glance at the speed book and your speed bugs can really help improve safety. The immense improvement in safety with this technique can require just five or six seconds, before and as you are lined up on the runway centerline.

I would never accept delaying the configuration of basic critical items until late in the taxi process. You will be under pressure or given a new EDCT for a quick departure, or have a problem in the cabin. As a group, line pilots, especially those who were Instructors or Check Airmen etc, should have a major influence over such options and very questionable decisions. Even a very short Before Takeoff Check can be rushed with the sudden request or changing requirements of a Tower controller (i.e. "north boundary winds are now 330 at 8 knots, climb and maintain [only] 3,000'...cleared for takeoff on runway 18R"), as everybody is well aware. And very soon we will keep track of de-icing fluid holdover times, engine clearing at 70% N1 for 15 seconds, and at what altitude to use airfoil anti-ice after takoff. What a time to be setting flaps, stab trim, speed bugs etc! Don't blindly accept any new SOPS policy or checklist operation if it appears to be unsafe-speak up about it.

Last edited by Ignition Override; 19th Oct 2006 at 03:58.