PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - first job blues
Thread: first job blues
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2006, 01:18
Chadzat

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I think there is a fine line between "helping" out your Boss and company and being exploited by that company. I for one am going through the first job saga, and have managed to find 2 operators who are great to work for. (Casual, paid per flying hour). They do expect a professional job to be done- and that all duties associated with the flight (cleaning aircraft, organising passengers at destination etc....) are included in the hourly rate. By the same token- any extra work above and beyond the flight is either compensated for or not expected full stop. As my employers have really helped me out I have DECIDED to do extra things with no renumeration- but it has been my choice.

I feel sorry for the young pilots who are put in the position of "do this for free- or you can forget about flying my aircraft".

I echo those who are saying the industry is in a relatively good position. Anyone who says that there are no jobs out there full stop is kidding themselves. I was as green as they come and have managed to get 2 positions-1 at the local airport to home.