PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 24 hours duty days
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2006, 20:35
Miles Magister

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The actual law

Stan,

I agree with your first post on this thread and built my first company's reputation by doing so.

Silver spoon,

You refer to JAR-OPS 1 a lot but this documnet has nothing at all to do with your situation. First your Ops should have given you some guidelines. Assuming you are UK based, from your earlier post, you are subject to UK law and the law of the country where you would be taking off from.

CAP 371 is not law, it is only CAA recomendations. Your company Ops Manual part A section 7, the FTL section, becomes legally binding when the AOC is issued, most corporate pilots I know carry an A5 photocopy of this section at all times. The other laws which affect your situation are the UK ANO 2005, which states that no member of the aircraft crew, a licenced mnaintenance engineer or an air traffic controll officer shall be under the influence of drink or drugs to such an extent as to impair their capacity to act. But the ANO does not state a limit.

However section 5 of the railways and trasport safety act 2003, as detailed in FODCOM 28/2003, is now law in the UK and applies to all avition operations. The absolute UK limit is

breath 9 microgrammes alcohol per 100mililiters blood
Blood 20 miligrammes of alcohol per 100 mililitres blood
Urine 27 miligrammes of alcohol per 100 mililitres blood

I believe these are just about the natural levels of alcohol in the average person so it means having nothing to drink at all, not even a sauce on your steak.

All the above data should be be checked against the proper documents before being used in any discussion or other purpose.

But remember you are also subject to the law of the country whos airspace you are in at the time!

If in doubt - don't!!!

Hope this was helpful but please check before relying on anything I have posted.

MM