PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2006, 05:56
DeltaSix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cessna1052
Hi D6,
Retiring as an FO isnt a question, it happens and it happened in the past. This Guy doesnt need a refresher, not at 60 years of age...that seems ridiculous. If he can't fly an instrument approach without an Aid from a Real Captain well Just retire for God's sake or better of, just play Golf...which i believed is his favorite hobby.

hmmm, that makes me think. I wonder if his son flies(and plays) the way he does?

Cheers,
c1052
Well my compadre, you said the magic number there - "60" years of age. If he has not mastered this skill at that age then he really is in serious trouble.
It's been proven that as you grow older, the slower you learn and adapt and the faster you forget things. At 60, he should not be even driving a car let alone fly as Capt. in a heavy metal.

I actually came across another guy that at 57 struggles to renew his IR and cannot successfully do an NDB approach.

Another one is a foreign Capt who does not even know how to retrieve his messages from his mobile phone, he lets his F/O re-program his FMC if they were cleared for a different STAR or runway. I've heard that at some point, he actually forgot how to execute RTE 2 (Boeing) in his FMC. He flew with me once and tried to flare a lightie 50 feet over the runway and nearly stalled the damn thing.

Oh well......