PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas pilots to agree to pay freeze?
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2006, 05:46
N2O

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The freight industry can address its driver shortage partly by updating a payment system akin to that for pieceworkers"
Chris Mullett (editor PowerToque Magazine)
"The increasing level of professionalism required to drive a multicombination B-double or B-triple should result in annual pay rates being set at about $85,000 and $100,000 respectively, commensurate with the responsibility and skill required.
Then the industry can improve its image, showing a high degree of professionalism, knowledge and skill required in today's freight transport. This in turn will attract drivers with the right attitudes and skill sets for the industry"
The Australian Financial Review, Freight & transport special report 12 Oct 2006

I'm pretty confident that the big trucking companies were "one step ahead" of their drivers too, yet they are obviously having trouble recruiting. I'm sure the training is not nearly as expensive as CPL/ Jet endorement combination.
I agree with you, there will always be a "lifestyle discount" that will be applied for the privilage of paying tax in Oz. However, as the more correct term experience shortage begins to park aeroplanes parked against the fence, overseas operators will have to start increasing their T&C. I believe other operators basing crews in Oz is one thing that really does worry QF (market forces). Currently we have an effective monopsony [wikipedia], however basings would change that.
Just as some expats will return with a sack full of booty, others will depart. Whilst Australia is a great place, many of the 750,000 Oz disporia (source Goodweekend, recent article) decided that they would prefer to live elsewhere for a large number of reasons.
Whispers are that the J* A330 expat recruitment response has been "underwelming", despite certain public statements. Only time will tell.