PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Duxford closes the 2006 UK Display scene.
Old 11th Oct 2006, 22:51
chris keeping

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
End of season Duxford

Not really Batchy. Cathay Pacific managed to relocate their first DC3 "Betsy" in Australia in the mid 80's, which was flown back to Hong Kong, and has since been donated to the science museum, where she now resides in her original colour scheme. In April of this year, and in order to mark Cathay's sixtieth anniversary they imported another DC3 from the Philippines (not an an original Cathay airframe) and that has since been repainted in their '50s colour scheme, and is now a gate guard at their Headquarters at Chek Lap Kok airport. Very pretty I must say.

I guess the most significant retoration project that was carried out here was Mustang G-HAEC, now on the UK display circuit in the colours of I think "Big Beautiful Doll". This airframe was also located in the Philippines circa '83 and was imported to Hong Kong where HAECO ou
r major aircraft engineering company carried out a full restoration to flying condition. The driving force behind this project was a flight engineer then working for Cathay called Mal Rose. Ray Hanna, then working for Cathay, carried out some fast taxis at Kai Tak and she was then shipped off to the UK.

The Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Airforce had a Spitfire Mk24 for many years as a gate guardian. This too left for the UK in the early '90s and is now at Duxford. I do remember that Ray Hanna expressed an interest in this aircraft (it didn't have an engine) but I believe that the RHKAAF were reluctant to part with it