PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bush Pilot vs Airline Pilot
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2006, 11:10
Witraz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I.R.PIRATE

I had a friend who left the highlands and islands to fly B757's on holiday charter. He too hated it, left and has enjoyed a career still flying light turbo's. I had no idea from you original post you had any airline experience.
As I said there are many different ways to spend ones life in aviation. I know a little about aviation in SA, but am in no position to post comments on any problems faced. I was lucky to move from Zim when I did, although there was a period when I met my mates in London, who having just flown in on the B707 while I was flying a SD360 out of Glasgow, that I thought I had made a dreadful mistake. Oh to have a crystal ball when making career decisions!
Going back to the original thread though, I find pilots who have seen other fields of aviation, before entereing into airline flying do on average have better handling skills. Cadets from my company though do have sound training and background knowledge compared to 'self improvers' such as myself. However, it doesn't matter how much money you have, you can buy a licence but you cannot buy experience. Did a Delhi in the monsoon, and the crew was myself (bushpilot), one cadet co-pilot, with useful current sop and book skills, and one new joined co-pilot, local guy from Delhi, ex B737 captain who had done all his flying in India and had plenty of local knowledge. A good crosscut of experience and pleasant and profession working team.
As for challenging flying, winter is approaching here in the northern hemisphere. Do I fancy the challenge of Chicago in a winter storm, or maybe that 48 hour slip on the beach in Barbados. I have done been frightened in aircraft, so maybe I just might leave that Chicago for someone junior who might need the experience