PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructing for Free???
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2006, 10:01
mustflywillfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instructing for Free???

Dear All,

Please don't bite my head off but.........!! Is it realistic to gain the FI(R) rating and then offer my services for free to a UK Club/School (on the south coast) on a part time, mainly weekend basis?.

I know that FI's get paid very poorly and some schmuck offering his services for free would upset the other instructors, if so, could I expect to be paid for doing just part time instructing?

I have been flying since I was 17, joined the Navy as a pilot after Uni, passed grading and elementary flying training but got chopped on advanced helicopter course (black art). Since then (2002) I have been flying a desk in the Navy and pretty much hate it! I love flying (have a PPL and about 154 hours with 61 PiC) and having taught groundschool to cadets and Navy engineers I realise that I get a massive buzz from teaching. Obviously I would like to combine the two but cannot afford to do it as a career, I would need to stay in the Navy Mon-Fri and instruct at weekends.

Am I being realistic, before I invest more money into hour building and ATPL groundschool etc.

Many Thanks MFWF