PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortages, News Events, And What Are The Effects On Airline Jobs?
Old 10th Oct 2006, 22:12
sidtheesexist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'....And a lot of airlines would agree with me.'

And I would suggest, respectfully, that many would not!

Strange to think that old-fashioned handling skills are still valued by some operators and I would venture to suggest that for most of us mere 'mortals', said skills develop through repeated practice - i.e. after more than c200 hrs.

'Qualitative selection procedure' - does not the passing of PPL/CPL/MEIR flight tests plus the ATPL writtens not constitute a form of valid selection in itself???????????? And don't forget, the candidate then has to pass the airline's own selection process which as most of us know full well, will expose any flying weaknesses most cruelly.

In a nutshell what I am really saying is this - both routes (integrated and modular) are valid means of obtaining a commercial pilot's job. Our own experiences, finances, prejuidices etc etc might lead us to favour one route or the other but can we HONESTLY say that one is superior to the other? Can anyone? At the end of the day, if you pass selection for your chosen employer that's all that matters - how you obtained the necessary skill levels is quite frankly, immaterial..................