PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying across America -- tips, advice and the like...
Old 10th Oct 2006, 15:12
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you fancy cheap accom, make sure you land at Fullerton Airport (CA) for a night stop and I'm sure I can put you up at my house
Do NOT forget to request BWALT.....

Doh, flash backs from my IR, sorry

I second or third what everyone says about staying in the West. I've been flying in the Western USA numerous times and often had these great intentions of going across the country. The trouble is there is SO much to do an see around California, Arizona and Nevada. The landscape is fantastic, places like Sedona are incredible if you are used to flying in the UK. Last time I was there we flew through a canyon and popped out ready to join downwing. Fantastic.....Not far from Sedona is Meteor Crater (Winslow I think) and then you have a whole load of ancient extinct volcanoes on the way to Flagstaff which are pretty cool from the air.

A nice trip we did last year was Long Beach - Apple Valley for breakfast - Needles for a piss stop - Sedona (mental note: take a plane with a heater that works or don't wear shorts and T shirt!)- Laughlin for a night of gambling and free beer - Big Bear for some snowball fights (mental note: snow + shorts and T shirts don't go well) - Chino (to see the war birds) - Long Beach.

Found another cool airport in California earlier this year - Agua Dulce - in the hills near Palmdale. Great place, completely uncontrolled and they have an outdoor swimming pool at the airport. You just rock up and take a dip!

I could go on as I love the flying there, and in 6 weeks time I'll be back for some more of it......

Cheers