PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I am mad?
Thread: I am mad?
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2006, 13:12
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim, mate,

just make sure you got the financial part sorted!

Age is a non-issue for employment, I'd rather get a cooled off 40ish than a hot-shot 20.
I got my ticket with 27, but was a 16-year old fool at heart, learned my lessons though and am alive to tell - some of the lessons thaught me also that I am religious after all....

Again, make sure you got the quid to go through to CFII, because like it or not, your first job is going to be Instructor (unless you have your own business, a rich uncle, etc.) You can make good money as an instructor, but it is a lot of work.
When you start, dig in and pull it through, but again, make sure you can do it financially. Nothing worse than having to cut halfway to get back to some job you don't like to pay your creditline....
In the US (or any Non-EU place) count on about US$ 50K until you get your first job. Don't fool yourself with cheap offers, you still have to get the Student-Visa, you need to travel to the school, you need to rent at least a room, you might need transportation and you definitely need to buy spagetti, 2min-noodle soop, and Kraft-ready to heat/eat (shamless opy from previous post ).

Sit down with yourself and search your soul and heart, whether you really cannot live without being a proffessional pilot (meaning helicopter flying being your source of income....).

Maybe doing your private and enjoying a couple of hours every month would do the trick....

Don't want to discourage you, but until you are a North-Sea Captain or a EMS-lifesaving Angel, or a Log-lifting precision-longline-jockey will take you closer to your 50s than you think....

First step to help with decision making, get a first class aviation medical.
No need to agravate over other issues if you are not fit in the first place....

Good luck,

3top

PS:

Just as a sample, I am 42, have 9000+ hrs in a lot of different environments. I am heading out to ge my IFR next.
BUT the reson I am not elegible for a the biggest operator on the globe is lack of twin-experience.... how will you ever get if no one gets you on the other seat....
Unless they run out of personal, no joy...