PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortages, News Events, And What Are The Effects On Airline Jobs?
Old 10th Oct 2006, 11:25
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by High Wing Drifter
Scroggs,

But wouldn't a 1500hr SEP pilot be an instructor, does an instructor not operate to strict time constraints, have to make pivotal decisions, not to mention being under constant scrutiny by their employer? Mybe I'm naive

How would you regard the GAPAN test in terms of qualative assemessment for self-sponsored modular chaps/chapesses.
In some schools, a low-houred FI may work under conscientious supervision with proper skills development and a constant eye on improving that individual as a pilot. In most smaller schools, the average FI is left to his own devices and it's a matter of luck whether he is any good, or whether he improves - or not. Time constraints in the sense of getting a certain amount of instruction done in a limited time is not what I am on about. What I mean is that a student must learn - and demonstrate that learning - within a limited period, with tight constraints on the opportunities for consolidation. If you get a job with one of the big schools, you will be brought on under such a regime. At Little Snoring-in-the-Mist Flying Club, you won't - and I suspect you are unlikely to be offered a job by one of the major airlines as a result.

The GAPAN aptitude testing is an excellent method of obtaining an objective opinion on one's aptitude, and should be undertaken by every wannabe who is not going through a mentored, pre-assessed course. However, having experienced a day with them as a guest assessor, I would take some of their post-interview advice with a large pinch of salt. If what I saw is anything to go by (and one day is a woefully short time in which to judge), they seem to have a preponderance of retired legacy airline captains who display a limited knowledge of the modern flying training business and the available opportunities for new pilots. I frequently found myself listening to advice being given that was factually incorrect, and which had a definite bias toward persuading people to aim for BA. In my not-so-humble opinion () there is better, and more accurate, advice available here...

Scroggs